Thursday 19 June 2014

Expressly Edwyn Collins : A Girl Like You

https://www.flickr.com/photos/japaneseforms/14456642281/

Expressly Edwyn Collins
A Girl Like You / Out of This World (St. Etienne remix)
Setanta (1994)
Sleeve by Rob Crane Design

I picked up this Edwyn Collins CD single while visiting a car-boot sale the other week. As it was on top of the pile I noticed it right away and immediately acquired it for a mere 0.50€. If it had been underneath I wouldn't even have looked at the pile of CDs. I must admit that I'm not too keen at all on 'A Girl Like You.' Collins' most known as well as his biggest selling hit is the song I like least in all of the Collins/Orange Juice discs I have. Like the Eagles' utterly dreadful 'Hotel California' it seems to be on the car radio every time I turn it on. Must admit though that I will listen to it whereas The Eagles... No way!
My preference goes to his 'Coffee Table Song' and '50 Shades of Blue' EPs to this any day. At the same time, I have to confess that by the time it did come out I'd moved onto other things like Autechre, Aphex Twin, and a lot of new electronic music. Collins' career was a thing of the past to me. Still is today though I know that I should check out at least his latest releases. I'll get round to it one day. Promise.

No comments: