Friday 18 August 2017

Primal Scream : Give Out But don't Give Up

https://www.flickr.com/photos/japaneseforms/36250642630/

While rummaging through some boxes looking for an elusive Associates single I came across this album: Primal Scream's 'Give Out But Don't Give Up'. I'd forgotten that I actually had this -though I do possess a fair amount of Scream discs. I'd forgotten as it's certainly the Scream album that I like least. Maybe I should slot it alongside 'Sonic Flower Groove' in that category as well. I recall getting this almost for the artwork alone. A double album which comes in a gatefold sleeve and includes a print of the front cover art. Front cover which is a cropped image of William Eggleston's 'Troubled Waters' photograph of a neon sign confederate flag. Troubled Waters indeed if you go by recent events in the USA where segregation and race hatred still cause a lot of civil unrest like the recent Charlottesville White Supremacist Rally as well as the ensuing furore caused by it.

Anyhow, this was Primal Scream's fourth album and the follow-up to the hugely successful 'Screamadelica.' To say it was a letdown for a lot of the band's followers would be an understatement. It's a complete departure from the 'Screamadelica' sound and is nothing like the previous album; more a classic rock and blues, turgid Rolling Stones rip-off than anything else. No doubt the Scream album I've the least played. In fact, my copy is stil in pristine condition. Might make owning it worthwhile by getting the Eggleston print under glass and finding a place to hang it.

All in all, unlike the music, the packaging and the artwork are really great. Wonderful band photography by Grant Fleming as well. Back cover features a photograph of funk musician Eddie Hazel who played lead guitar with Parliament-Funkadelic.

In any case, after this flop; and much to my relief, the Scream returned to form with the follow-up dub, ambient, dance, krautrock inspired 'Vanishing Point' album plus it's Adrian Sherwood (On U-sound) produced 'Echo Dek' remix side project. Both albums near the top of my fave Scream discs and certainly more worth having than 'Give Out But Don't Give Up.'

No comments: